I know its been a long time between drinks but I have been busy. You probably have been as well.
Since I do a lot of flying I often get asked for advice.
This is an easily digestible list of tips.
*If you are in economy class book a special meal. This will allow you to eat early and also use the loo/brush teeth before everyone else does. This means you get get to sleep early. For breakfast service it means you can brush your teeth ect well before the rush.
* Have a pen in your man bag under your seat. This allows you to fill out your immigration card without having to find/borrow a pen or get into your carry on luggage.
* Pack charger and a USB cable for your phone/tablet in your carry on. The USB chargers built into seat are only 1amp so charge a bit slower than a wall point charger.
* 1above is the best product for supplementing jetlag. I take it every hour when flying. I also make sure I have some for the next couple of mornings after I arrive. I also get some for my return flight as some backwards countries don’t sell it.
* If travelling for work. Be kind to yourself for the first few days if you can. Don’t expect much. Don’t schedule any crazy projects/meetings. Not always easy when it is a business trip.
* When packing carry on think about how easy it will be to remove your laptop/items for security screening. I find backpacks better than laptop bags.
* When dressing for your trip. Think about removing shoes with laces/belts/hats/watches. If you don’t have to wear a watch/belt/hat/lace up shoes don’t. If you think you can win an upgrade by dressing nicely take the gamble.
* Avoid using the pouch in the seat in front of you for important items. You might leave something in there.
* When in transit don’t use the travelators. Not only is it faster but its good for your legs to do as much walking as possible.
* If you don’t have anything stronger. Karl Pilkington is still the best sleep aid.
* Copy your travel/itinerary to your smart phone as well as your passport. I use evernote.
* Be nice to the flight attendants. Don’t lose your temper with TSA.
* When queueing for security screening queue in the queue with the most suits. People in suits are used to having liquids in bags, pulling out laptops ect so the queue should be quicker.